There are some very good reasons to hire a contractor to remodel your bathroom, kitchen and other rooms apart from because they need updating. You might have a different taste to how they currently look, they might no longer meet your needs, you might be looking to make the property easier to sell even. You have a lot of options when it comes to contractors, some focus on greener options, some focus on affordability. You might even decide the best thing for you is to look at high-end remodeling contractors in Colts Neck NJ or where you are. Here are some do’s and don’ts that can help you make the best choice.
Top things to do when looking for a contractor
- Do consider carefully whether you can live in the home while the work is going to happen, and if not where you can go.
- Do make sure your plans are not going to cost you money if you intend to sell soon.
- Do your research on the different contractor options local to you and look into the ones you are thinking of hiring. Look at past client reviews, check independent sites, make sure they have genuine licenses and insurance and experience in the right area.
- Do get at least 3 free quotes from decent contractors Freehold NJ or where you are so you can compare.
- Do check with the local building department, the BBB and other professional bodies to make sure there are no complaints against them.
- Do ask for references and contact them to ask about their experience.
- Do keep all records and communications in case you need to refer to them.
- Do be very specific with the contractor so there are no doubts and there is no guesswork. That is what can hold up jobs and add to the costs.
- Do inspect the project as it progresses.
- Do have a written and detailed contract that includes agreements on when payments are to be made.
Looking at the don’ts of using a remodeling contractor
- Don’t hire a contractor that does not have a license or puts off proving they have a valid license.
- Don’t hire before looking through your options for high-end remodeling contractors in Colts Neck, NJ.
- Don’t fall for hard sale pitches. Listen to their advice but if you have a budget don’t let them persuade you to go above that.
- Don’t pay for everything in full before they have done any work. It is okay to pay in installments as stages of the project are complete for larger jobs, but not to pay for everything all at once at the start.
- Don’t sign anything if you do not understand it and have a lawyer help you if you need it.
- Don’t deal with subcontractors just focus on the contractors, Freehold, NJ.
- Don’t accept shoddy communication and excuses if they are not keeping to their promises and the contract you have both signed.
- Don’t make the final payment until you are sure you are happy.
- Don’t hire anyone who does not have the right insurance to cover them working on your property.