What are the Pros and Cons of Tankless Water Heaters?
If you want to install a water heater, there are so many options to consider. It is important to consider a number of factors so as to determine the best option for your home. The tankless water heater seems to be quite popular and is rapidly replacing the conventional tank water heaters.
While there are many benefits associated with the tankless water heaters, it is important to compare all the pros and cons so as to establish if it will serve your needs or not. This is an important process before making a decision to buy your tankless water heater.
Difference in the Functionality of Tank and Tankless Water Heaters
Before making a decision to switch to the tankless water heater, it is important to note the difference with the traditional water heaters, which come with a storage tank. Generally, most of the conventional water heaters will preheat and store water inside the tank. This may be up to 150 liters, depending on the size of the tank.
When one does laundry, takes a shower or runs a dishwasher, the preheated water is used. As soon as the water runs out, the tank will refill itself and reheat the water.
The tankless water heater, on the other hand, will not store up any water, since it does not have a storage tank. Through this system, the water will be heated as it flows through the pipes. As such, you can have an endless flow of hot water using the tankless water heater. This tends to be more economical.
When making the decision on the best water heater to purchase, you should choose a tank water heater if you want a cheap option and need to run hot water from multiple sources. However, if you want a continuous flow of hot water, you should consider having a tankless water heater. This is energy efficient and will not take as much space as the tank water heaters.
Tankless Water Heaters Pros and Cons
Just like any other system, the tankless water system has pros and cons. If you are considering the installation of a tankless water heater, you should weigh the pros and cons so as to make an informed decision on the same. Here are the main pros and cons of the tankless water heater:
Tankless Water Heater Pros:
- Endless Flow of Hot Water: The main advantage of the tankless water heater is the fact that you can have hot water anytime you need it. This is why it is known as an on-demand water heater. Anytime you want to run hot water, you will not be limited and this can flow throughout, unlike the tank water heaters, where you have to wait for the water to be heated.
- Energy Efficiency: Considering their name, you can tell that the tankless water heaters do not have tanks to store water. As such, you will not need to have the heater running all day long so as to keep the water hot at all times. The heater will heat water, as you are running it, making energy efficient.
- Less Space: The fact that there is no tank to be installed, the tankless water heater takes up less space. Even when the space is limited, you can easily fit this water heater and it will serve the purpose.
- Longevity: Due to its mode of operation, the tankless water heater can last up to 25 years long. This is about 10 to 15 years longer than the conventional storage tank water heaters.
- Versatile: There tankless water heaters are quite versatile, in terms of the features that it has to offer, including digital displays of temperature and pressure readings.
Tankless Water Heater Cons
- High Cost of Installation: The initial cost of installing the tankless water heater is quite high. It is estimated to be about 4 times the cost of a traditional water heater. This makes it rather difficult to recover the costs, even if the tankless water heater is more energy efficient.
- One Faucet at a Time: Unlike the tank water heaters, the tankless water heating system allows you to run one faucet at a time. As such, if you need to run hot water from multiple sources, you may have to install different units.
- Frequent Maintenance: Most manufacturers of the tankless water heaters recommend servicing and maintenance every 6 months to one year, depending on the model.
With a clear understanding of the pros and cons of the tankless water system, you can make a decision if it is the right choice for your household.
Essential Considerations When Buying a Tankless Water Heater
Before purchasing a tankless water, there are a number of considerations, which you should think about so as to determine if it is the right option. Here are the key factors to consider:
- Are looking for a heater that will heat bathroom water of water for the entire house?
- The tankless water heaters should be installed about 50 feet from the source of power, so consider the location.
- Will be using gas or electricity as the power source for the tankless water heater?
- Consider the installation process and the cost implications involved.
With these basic factors, you will be able to determine if the tankless water heater is the right choice for your home.
The tankless water heater is energy efficient and will provide a continuous supply of hot water. This is one of the key reasons why you should consider having it in your home. One of the biggest setbacks is the fact that you cannot run the dishwasher and be in the shower at the same time, with the tankless water heater. You would need to install different units for each faucet since the water heater does not serve the entire house, at a go. Putting all factors into consideration, the tankless water heater is far much better than the traraditional tank water heater.